Tuesday, September 4, 2012

DIY Numbered Coasters

      These are a fun way to keep track of whose drink is whose.  They also look cute and are super easy.  
Finished product:

 
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:


1. Coasters.  I got mine at Jo-Ann in one of the many craft isles.

2. Paint.  I used normal paint which probably wasn't so smart.  I would suggest (if you're doing the numbers in white) you use white primer.

3. A Sharpie.  The standard size tip would work the best.

4. A number scheme.  Pick a number scheme that has the numbers you want.  Don't try to guess how a number in the scheme would look.  It will turn out bad.


STEP I 
Pick out the numbers that you want and size them on the computer to the size you want them to be on your coasters and print them.  This is what I chose:
 STEP II 
You don't have to cut the numbers out exactly but separate them so that they are individual.

STEP III 
Position the number on your coaster and with the Sharpie trace the outside lines. Make sure you're pressing hard enough for the Sharpie to transfer from your paper to the actual coaster; these lines will be your guide lines for painting. I personally pressed just hard enough so that there were occasional dots guiding me because I was nervous that the Sharpie would show through the paint.

STEP IV 
Using the lines or dots from the Sharpie as guides fill in the number with paint. I did a couple of coats.

I realize that the lines aren't perfect but honestly, it's no big deal.  Nothing is perfect when you DIY :)






No comments:

Post a Comment